Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thunder Bay to Winnipeg

Well turns out it is kind of hard to get WiFi between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg so I haven't been able to update in awhile but that's okay because there was not much to update on except for nothing's of straight roads. But now that I am here in Winnipeg I am having a blast. But I'll start from Thunder Bay and tell you the story of the journey.

I woke up to an empty house in Thunder Bay which gave me time to get everything organized. Al and Mary Ellen had left big a big box of food to take with me. It was great. I have not had to buy any food yet thanks to Jaye and Laura, Julie and Mary Ellen and Al. It has saved me a lot of money. But I drove away from Murrillo and into Thunder Bay in search of a place Travis told me I had to eat at called "The Scan". I searched high and low for it and all I could find was a place called The Scandinavian House. On a hunch I figured that was the one. The Finn Pancakes where awesome. And Luba at the cash was a great lady. Just like Travis said. After that I stopped in for a quick oil change and hit highway 17 west again.

As I drove drove out of Thunder Bay the senory began to change from steep cliffs to more gently rolling hills with swamp and midsize pines. I crossed into the central time zone which was a nice check point through the repetitive senory. I stopped in and looked at the momunent then got back in the Jeep and tried to figured out how to change the damn clock. There was a nice little water fall I stopped at too called Raliegh Falls. It offered a nice leg break.

When we got to Dryden we got out downtown and went for a walk. There is not much to see in Dryden. We continued on our way to find a camping spot for the night. On the way I saw a huge bull moose. We drove into a few places but I just didn't like the looks of them. Finnaly I found what I think was a fire access road and we drove way into it and called it camp. It started to rain not to long after setting up camp and the mosquittoes where thick. So I ate supper in the back of the Jeep.

The morning brought a nice warm sun and modivation to get to Winnipeg. We hit the road early only stopping to pick up a hitch hiker. The senory change again the second we hit the boarder of Manitoba. It was flat. Agriculature everywhere and straight roads.

I finally hit Winnipeg and drove around town trying to find some place to park and get WiFi to get organized. After that Rain and I headed down to The Forks for a walk. The Forks are where the Red River and another river meet and was the main meeting spot back in the day when rivers wher our highways. We walked over the bridge into St. Bonifet and then stolled to downtown Winnipeg. After supper I skated to a pub called Travern's United to watch the hockey game. It was packed in there. Then the game started and the place emptied. I was so confused. Then I realized the Manitoba Moose where playing a play off game across the road. I stayed and watched the game anyways and after both games where over the pub got packed again with celebratoins of a big Moose win. I met acouple of guys and we went up to the rooftop patio and drank the night away. It was a blast. I longboarded to the pub and and seemed like it was the first time anyone in Winnipeg had seen a longboard. It a great way to get around here though. No uphills.

After that night I slepted all day in the parking lot at the Forks. Going back out tonight to meet up with the same guys and do it again though. It should be a blast.

Johnny







1 comment:

  1. I was at Raleigh Falls on the long weekend. It's pretty good for a sight-seeing daytrip from Dryden. You totally should have taken a photo of Max!!! He's our mascott, though I'm glad he got a mention.

    You are definitely lucky the Mill wasn't stinking the place up, though. Smells like rotten eggs and sulfur.

    Hope you're having a good time and keeping safe. You could have stopped by or said something if you needed somewhere to crash. :P

    -- Bri (Meaghan's roommate)

    ReplyDelete