Friday, June 12, 2009

Royal Tyrrell Museum and Into the Rockies

The morning brought the visit to the Royal Tyrrell Museum to see some dinosaur fossils. The museum was amazing. One of the best ones I have ever been too. It had tons of amazing atmospheres, fossils, skeletons, art and hands on activities. After the museum I headed for Horseshoe Canyon for a hike with Rain. It was a great hike. We went into the canyon base and hiked in before scaling the near vertical canyon wall to get to the top. The top was an encredable view. On one side of me steep barren cliffs they call The Canadian Badlands and the other side was flat lussions prairie land.

After the hike we headed for Calgary where we slepted the night in a residential zone. In the morning I headed for Speedy Auto Glass where my first Jeep repair bill will be. A chipped windshield. 20 minutes and $40 later we started heading south towards High River AB. I reached High River at 9:30. The Liqour Depot did not open until 10am. So I got out my lawn chair and had some breakfast out side the door. When they opened I picked up a couple cases of Big Rock Beer then headed for Elkford.

I could see the Rockies from Calgary and the drive was amazing (esspecially after coming off the prairies). I could not wipe the smile off my face every time I looked at the mountains. As I got closer and the mountains grew I started to think to my self "man, what was I doing in Ontario for the past 22 years". The size of them almost seemed unreal to me as I drove though my first pass.

When I reached Jay's place in Elkford BC he was getting ready to go for a run. So after a beer we headed out. The elevation did not seem to bother me on the run but the hill we climbed almost killed me. It just kept going up. After the run we went to Jay's team soccer practice. I got to play at the highest soccer pitch in Canada. The view the the pitch was encredable with peaks surrounding it in all directions.

After soccer we headed out for dinner with Brenden and his parents then heading to the local watering hole for a beer. After that we came back to Jay's place for more beers and some jamming before falling asleep.

The next week here in Elkford with Jay should be great. Some good times and some good beers.

Johnny





1 comment:

  1. I told you that you would love the mountains!! Keep that Jeep rolling. Mary

    ReplyDelete