Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Bad Lands Alberta

Well I am out of the flats now! Feels good to have something nice to look at instead of just fields of nothing. I made the long drive from Saskatoon to Drumheller yesterday. It is the heart of the Canadian Bad Lands. So nice here. I did not roll in until 6pm so I drove the 11 bridges scenic route and found a place to camp. There was a single lane dirt road going into the middle of The Bad Lands I found so I put the Jeep into 4 wheel drive low and started climbing. There was a snap and I started rolling back. I got out and looked and couldn't figure out what broke. All I know is that the Jeep will not properally engage into 4 wheel drive low now and snaps out when under load. So I put it in 4 high and tried the climb again. After a good climb I had a very steep decent to do. Which again was not all that much fun and pretty scary in 4 high. After that the trail into the heart of The Bad Lands got easyer and I found a beautiful spot to camp on the edge of a huge canion. It was so hot when I started eating supper it was almost unbearable and by the time I finished eating supper it had cooled down so much I needed my heavy sweater Julie made me. The night was so cold as well. Must have been near freezing. In the morning I had that steep long sandy hill to climb. I was pretty nervious about it all night. With no 4 low I started to climb. Almost stalling a few times because my RPM's where so low. But I made it. Which was a huge relief.

The Jeep is starting to worry me now though. It is burning motor oil and leaking coolent. I have now picked up a chipped windsheild on the highway and have no 4 low any more. Hopefully it will make it because I still have along way to go.

But I am going head off the the Royal Tyrrell Museum now. I will post the pictures after. You should now be able to post comments by clicking on the annoymisis tab and you wont need to log in.

Johnny MisAdventures








5 comments:

  1. Johhny take it easy on that cheap Jeap man! You won't be able to afford a new transmission rebuild ones are expensive as well! Too bad you sold all your bikes. That would be an interesting ride. Take care Lovey PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that sweater I made you has come in handy.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep your eyes open for Big Rock Brewery! drinking and driving is totally legal in AB.

    ...jokes. bye! Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. The badlands are a pretty awesome area. Seen any dinosaur fossils yet? Take care, and try and keep the jeep working.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the photo looking down on the jeep!

    ReplyDelete