Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Prairie Livin'


Well life out here on the prairies has been good. Different for sure. We ordered pizza the other day. 45 minute drive to the town of Tisdale just to get it. I didn't have my camera but the sign coming into Tisdale said "Land of rape and honey". It is the best sign I have seen so far. Until Janelle explained to me that rape was some part of a grain. Still an awesome sign though. It made me lock the doors driving into the town.

But anyways the drive from Winnipeg to Pleasantdale was nice. It took me 2 days. The road was straight and flat. Trains where a nice surprise to watch along the side of the highway. Finding a place to camp in the prairies was hard. No trees or hills to hide behind. Just endless fields of flatness. In the morning I started heading further north into Saskatchewan and small rolling hills started to appear. They seemed so big after all the flatness of south western Manitoba.

I got into Pleasantdale around what I though was lunch time but Saskatchewan has to be different from the rest of the world and not change the clocks for day lights saving time so I was all messed up with the time. But I got into Don and Alice's place and caught up with them and Dale shortly after. Dale took me for a tour of the area. The 20 mile drive to get the mail and down to the lake. It was nice. Evening came and the girls arrived home from the city. It was great to meet everyone and see the excitement of the farm. The cattle kept getting out so we had to run down with the dogs and get them back in. Rain couldn't figure out why the collies wanted to chase the cows so badly and just stood there confused.

Yesterday the cows had to be moved down the road. We got to push them out of one pasture and bush out to the road then into the other pasture. There was cattle stretched out of almost 2 miles walking down the road. After I rode the horse back to the farm. First time I have ridden a horse in along time. And damn that horse had go.

After my great time on the farm I heading into Saskatoon for the night. Jen and Jodi and I went to a sweet little place for dinner and then went back to their condo and made fun of each other for the rest of the night. They are off to a track meet in Vancouver now so I am spending the day in the city seeing the sights. After I will work my way down to Fernie BC then work straight north to the Slave River. So keep checking back for updates.

Johnny

2 comments:

  1. dude. you should trade your jeep for that horse! 0 L/100km!

    No photos of the family?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing Testing 1...2...3....

    ReplyDelete