Friday, June 26, 2009

Elkford to Bragg Creek

A lot has happened in the last few days so this is going be along one but a good one! Jay and Shamrock made sure of a good chill last night in Elkford BC. It was great seeing those guys again and I was sad to leave right before Jay's birthday too. Happy Birthday Jay!

As I left the mountains of BC and returned to the foothills of Alberta my excited grew to see Okotoks Erratic. My GPS directed me down Hwy 40 which started out nicely paved but when down hill in a hurry. It turned out to be a single lane dirt trail that was rough and ungraded. But it was nice and senic. I saw a moose and a Rocky Mountain Goat.

Once I got off the road I stopped and got a case (6 pack....they don't know what cases are out west but atleast I can still buy beer not like you Ontario folk!) of Big Rock McNally's Extra for the next part of my trip! I went to Okotoks Erratic. Which is a big rock in the middle of a field that was left by the glaciers. It is the rock the Big Rock Brewery (best beer in the world) is named after! Everyone in Ontario should go buy a case now. Oh wait! You can't! So I sat by the Big Rock and enjoyed my beer.

After that I headed for Bragg Creek to meet up with Mike from college who is 30 minutes west of Calgary in the foothills living at a ranger camp. It was kind of tricky to find. But I got here and we chilled around a camp fire all night.

The next day a couple of guys desided to rent a 4 man raft and go for a rip down the Kananaskis River. So I grabbed my playboat and we headed out. The river was an awesome dark torquize colour. Just beautiful. The water was so cold though. Poogies and skull cap in the end of June and I was still chilly! We had an awesome run and my shoulder held up. The road there was another awesome single lane dirt road with awesome senory.

That's all for now though!

Johnny








No comments:

Post a Comment