Saturday, July 11, 2009

Slave River!



The last few days have been unreal! Theo and I had a couple days of hanging in High Level for a couple days well he finished his days of work at the fire base. Time at the fire base was spent hanging out by the fire and jamming. Also getting another chip in my windshield fixed! That is my second chip since I have been out west.

Finally on Wednesday Theo finished work and we headed north. The drive was long and straight but as we got further north we got to see parts of the Canadian Shield again. We stopped at the 60th parallel and got a certificate for being north of the 60th. We then continued down highway 1 which is called the waterfall highway. There are 2 beautiful waterfalls on the way including the 100 foot Alexander Falls and Louise Falls.

When we made it to Hay River late at night we went to see the Great Slave Lake. It was really cold but nice and big with a sweet beach. We grabbed some gas and some dinner in the pub in Hay River then headed south east towards Fort Smith.

We got to Fort Smith at 1:30 am and slept in the Jeep beside the Rapids of the Drowned on the Slave River. In the morning we met a couple of the local paddlers and did a sweet run of Mountain Portage section which was sweet. Molly's Nipple was huge along with some other huge rapids. The river is really messy. Water is going left, right, up and down. It is insane. After dinner we headed to Cassette Rapids for a paddle. Cassette was a blast with a sick sick steep wave. John and I ran Dave's Demise which is a really really really hard ferry to get around two massive holes. I saw John just make it pass as I yelled out "I'm not going make it". I hit the shoulder of the first massive hole and surfed down and off it. Then just around the 2nd hole. I had no energy left from the ferry. But it was a sweet run.

Today Theo, Ben and I just parked and played at The Playground which is a chill little wave. We spent all day hanging out there with Rain. It was a blast. Pelicans surrounded us as we surfed.

The River is sweet and we are going have a sweet next few days on the river. Keep checking back for more pics!

Johnny

No comments:

Post a Comment