Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Glacier Higway


From Calgary I made the drive west to Banff. The drive coming into the mountains was so nice but that was just the start.

When I got to the town of Banff I met a couple rad people and had some drinks with them for the night. We ended up all going to Hoo Doos Night Club after doing shots of hot sauce. It wasn't that hot.

The morning brought the trip north bound on the Glacier Highway. It was the most amazing drive. Everyone should go do it. It was so beautiful I don't even know how to explain it to you. Mountains, cliffs, trees, wildlife, streams, glaciers, snow and rock filled the landscape. It was almost unreal. Rain and I stopped in at Glacier Lake and the North Saskatchewan River for a swim. The water was cold but it was fun.

After we continued to Jasper past the Ice Fields and eventually to Hilton for some much needed gas. I was starting to get pretty nervous but everything was so expensive in the park and I figured I could make it through to Hilton on gas. Just made it. Calgary to Hilton through the National Parks on one tank. 550km. I was impressed. After some gas and groceries I started heading north on highway 40 where I am right now in Grande Cache Alberta where I will spend the night.

Johnny






3 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    It was fun meeting you and Rain last night. Hope you had a good time out on the town. It looks like you had a great drive today, your pics are awesome! Hope you have a blast on the rest of your road trip!!
    Take care,
    Sheryl
    PS. I will click on a few of those links for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha ya it was super fun running into you guys yesterday! hope your day at work was good! what do you guys have planned for your next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dude sitting to your left in the last photo looks like Michael Cera (the guy from Superbad / Nick & Nora's.. / Juno / Arrested Development)

    ReplyDelete