Monday, August 24, 2009

Skookumchuck!

Skooks in all her beauty Skooks


Righty on Skooks on the way up VanAndSkooks


Well I just got off paddling in salt water for the first time in the world class tidal wave called Skookumchuck in Egmont BC on the Sunshine Coast. The wave is amazing.

The trip started off with just Rain and I heading north from Vancouver to catch the ferry. After the 45 minute ferry ride we drove north along the ocean to Egmont. When I got to Egmont I met up with a few paddlers from Calgary that I met on the Slave River. We camped that night at Cline Lake.

The morning brought the 45 minute paddle in from the Marina in Egmont to the wave. When I got to the wave there was no wave. This is because the wave is created from the ocean tides rising and the water flowing into the inlet. As time passed the water started flowing faster and faster until finely a small wave appeared. We went out and surfed it and every surf the wave got bigger and bigger until finely Skook was in her full glory of a massive wave with a huge foam pile.

The surfs where amazing. After the season that only last for about 4 or less hours a day because of the tides we had to hike out for an hour. The next day a few more paddlers I met on the Slave where at Skooks. It was a great time

Later a dude named Dan from Portland and a girl named Sol from Argentina came up. There were great people.

After a great week at Skooks in the small town of Egmont (with no easy to find internet) Sol and I headed back to Vancouver as she is headed to the Ottawa River soon!

Johnny

From VanAndSkooks


The Dangerious Dock at the camp ground VanAndSkooks


Our Ferry VanAndSkooks


Skooks on the way up Skooks


From Skooks


From Skooks


Rain and I chilling during the green out Skooks


From Skooks


Sol throwing down her new trick! Skooks


Sol and I waiting for Skooks to come up! Skooks


Sol going backwards! Skooks

No comments:

Post a Comment